If someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds on your body?’ he will answer, ‘The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.’ Zech 13 v 6

Monday, July 6, 2009

Documentation


If ever you are a victim of a crime, remember to document any and everything!!!


I could have done a better job at documenting more conversations. But I did get a three-ring binder and dividers to keep track of all the legal documents and counseling information. 


I would document most conversations after I would get off the phone. I kept almost every letter or card I was sent in regards to the situation. I now have three 3" ring binders that hold information that pertains to what we have gone through. I don't even know why I originally started to do this, except that I wanted to remember certain things in case I was called upon later to recall a conversation


Then I realized keeping everything was going to be helpful in the future for my children for different reasons. As a child, I am sure there is a certain perception of what has gone on. Especially given the different ages of my children and how involved they were in the  situation. I believe it will be good one day for whichever child is interested, not just to have my memories and version of everything, but to have documentation from the courts, letters from individuals, and this blog that is documenting a lot of what we have gone through in the physical and emotional realm. I make a copy of almost any comment or encouraging word I receive.


For my child that is the direct survivor of the sexual abuse, I do believe it will help to have all of this information to confirm memories or clarify childhood perceptions.

No comments: