If someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds on your body?’ he will answer, ‘The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.’ Zech 13 v 6

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Neutral

You know who your true friends are in a crisis. I would like to take this a little further, You also know who the real people of integrity are in a crisis. It is relatively easy to be a Christian in a small church where people are very like-minded--or so you think.

In everything that we have gone through, it has been so disheartening for me to discover that some of the people I loved and respected would not commit to taking a side in this matter. Even though I think they were wrong, I must say I respect the people who chose the Rojas' side more than I respect the people that tried to stay neutral, even after it was clear criminal and immoral behavior had occurred by multiple parties.


It is impossible to stay neutral in this type of situation. I have a quote from Bishop Desmond Tutu on my Facebook page: "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." I believe this quote with all my heart.

I am so thankful that the Dewhirst family didn't try to stay neutral. They fought for justice. They actually are still fighting in many ways for justice in our case. I know that the Rojas girls are especially on their hearts. Eddie Rojas must be located!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this family well. God knows them even better. I am the sister of the woman who has been focused, relentless in her puruit of truth, and who has refused to compromise. To know my sister is to know her absolute commitment in aiding anyone who is victimized, especially children. That her heart and her true motivations have been questioned is stunning. It illuminates the fact that not everyone is considering the truth (and in fact, The Truth) to be preeminent. Interesting to see where people's priorities can be...protect "the church" when this little girl (and all of Patrick's victims) ARE the church? Better check your Bibles, everyone - I think Jesus had some strong words for those who hide from the truth, and those who hide it outright. My sister and her husband are a testimony to the power of Truth, and the fact that staying on the side of righteousness can and often will cost you dearly. Please know that all of you are in this family's prayers.