If someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds on your body?’ he will answer, ‘The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.’ Zech 13 v 6

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lawyer

I am still irritated that I had to attain a lawyer in order to hopefully secure a no-contact order for our child. Today we meet the lawyer. I am especially upset because now my child has to play an active roll in this.

A few nights ago I decided it was time to have a serious one on one with this child about what has been currently going on. I wanted to make sure the no-contact order was important to the child since they were now going to be involved in the process of getting one. My child had already expressed a fear that Patrick would contact the child after his probation period no longer legally restrained him from doing so. I hate this! My child in general is uncomfortable talking about all of this and I would rather bare the burden for my child. Even though my child will now be required to discuss aspects of the victimization with the lawyer my child wants to press on. My child really wants the sense of safety that the no-contact order will bring.

I realize plenty of abusers ignore no-contact orders but the legal boundaries that a no-contact will provide does give us a sense of safety. Imagined or not, that goes a long way for a child.

No comments: