If someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds on your body?’ he will answer, ‘The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.’ Zech 13 v 6

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Never Know

I will never probably know when Patrick started to groom our family. When did he start to fixate on my child? It still really creeps me out that Patrick believed he romantically loved our minor child.

Why our child? From all accounts our child didn't fall into the easy-target category. Our children had parents that were very committed to them. We were around all the time. Our child was shy, somewhat quiet, and very innocent-looking and acting. The only thing that I can think of that made us vulnerable was being overwhelmed with life. We sincerely trusted Patrick and respected his parents. We were trying to be a part of a community that cared for each other in a way we believed was biblical.

If that's what put us at risk, I cannot adequately express to you how much that simple fact has messed me up. It was our faith and beliefs that made us vulnerable. That is hard to reconcile.

No comments: